“Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.” Michael Pollan
In a bit more detail…
- Eat REAL food i.e. limit the processed stuff that comes in packets and has more than 5 ingredients.
- Think about your portion sizes and eat mindfully.
- Eat the rainbow – lots of veggies of all colours and kinds. Generally reduce your meat intake but throw in some oily fish once/twice a week if you’re not vegetarian.
Spiced Chickpea & Sweet Potato Meal Prep
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 40-50 mins
- Servings: 4
- 250g brown rice
- 4 sweet potatoes (chopped)
- 4 carrots (chopped)
- 1 can chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 200g green beans
- Olive oil
- Jerk or all-purpose seasoning
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400 °F).
- On a large pan place the sweet potatoes and carrots and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with jerk / all-purpose seasoning, salt and pepper then mix around. Drizzle with honey and lemon juice.
- Roast veggies for around 40-50 mins until soft. Remove from oven and divide equally into meal prep containers.
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions (usually boils for 20-30mins).
- Let it cool and fluff with a fork. Divide equally into meal prep containers.
Chickpeas & beans
- Chuck the chickpeas and green beans into a bowl with the jerk / all-purpose seasoning and mix around until well coated.
- Heat 2 TBSPs olive in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Chuck in the chickpeas and green beans and fry for 4-5 minutes with a squeeze of lemon juice. Divide equally into meal prep containers.
Tips: add chilli flakes for an extra kick. Season to taste – add as much/little seasoning as you want.